Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Phentermine's Not Working Anymore


I guess it's real, and I have to acknowledge it: it seems the phentermine is not working anymore. I've been on it since late August (so over 5 months) and it was doing its job just fine (appetite suppression) all along. Even through January, which was a great month for me, losing 9 pounds... the most I'd lost in a month since that very first month on phentermine. But like I wrote last week, my appetite *has* been increasing... not in cravings, but in the amount of food it takes for me to feel "not hungry" and how long I can go between meals or snacks. I've been eating larger portions and more frequently and have had to put forth more effort to keep the calories low enough to keep losing. I guess what I'm saying is, I am doing a lot more of the work and phentermine is doing less.

This week it felt like it's stopped working completely. Like I am back to baseline in how hungry I feel and how much I want to eat. Well, maybe not *true* baseline, because my stomach feels like it has shrunk from months of eating smaller portions... and that's a good thing! I don't want to stretch it back out by overfilling it, either, so when I do eat, I stop short of feeling full. Just at or below satisfied... just enough that I am not hungry anymore.

Anyway, the last couple of days I even forgot to take my second half of phentermine because it has little to no effect anyway, whether I take it or not. It doesn't change my hunger level and doesn't give me any energy whatsoever. So I stopped it yesterday and am taking a break for a bit, or maybe permanently. I've read on the phentermine forums that it usually stops working after 3 months (so I am lucky!) and sometimes people will take a break from it for a month and then try it again if they still need to lose more weight and their rate of loss has slowed. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist soon, so I'll see what she thinks I should do. But for now, I'm off it.

I also am sitting at 205 pounds, still. That's nine days straight. I've been reading my old blog posts from back in 2010 when I was losing weight with Medifast. It was a real head game for me when I got close to that 199/200 pound barrier. There is something important... emotional... about crossing that threshold from the 200's into the "doesn't sound so huge" 100's. It messed with my head a bit back then, and it still seems like such a huge deal. I am getting close. I'm feeling the feelings surrounding this and not hiding from them. I look forward to getting out of the 200's again, even though my fear of going back up the scale is a *lot* more real to me this time around. After all that work and everything I experienced, I never would have believed I'd regain and get near 260 pounds again. But I did, so I know I could again. I pray not, and will work hard for it, but now I know that even if you think it could never happen, you might be surprised. But for now, I just need to get the weight off. Keeping it off is another battle.




Weight Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment