Saturday, February 25, 2017

Low Carb Enchilada Casserole (with Low Carb, Grain Free "Tortillas"!)


Something I really enjoy is a good dinner of enchiladas. But I've been avoiding them while eating lower carb, because the corn tortillas are pretty high in carbs (about 11 grams each). Then the other day I was deciding what to do with my fresh, whole butternut squash and as I started to cut it up I thought... hey, the neck of this squash would look a lot like corn tortillas if I sliced it into thin rounds! And so I did! I peeled the neck, cut 1/4" slices, and tossed them with a tablespoon or so of avocado oil, salt, and pepper. I laid them on a cookie sheet lined with nonstick foil, ready to roast!

low carb tortillas

After 12 minutes at 450 degrees, I flipped the slices over. Then I continued to roast them for 12-13 more minutes, until they had just started to brown.

When they were cooled, I used them in place of corn tortillas in this recipe: Best Enchilada Lasagna.

Here is the basic recipe:

2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese (reduced fat, if you prefer)
2 - 2 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce (check the carbs, or make your own using the recipe in the link above)
about 16 roasted butternut squash "tortillas"

Layer in a casserole dish as follows:
sauce
layer of "tortillas"
1/3 of the chicken
handful of cheese

repeat twice, end with "tortillas," sauce, and cheese. I also added some diced green chiles.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let rest about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

low carb enchilada bake


1 ounce of corn tortilla has 62 calories and 13 g carbs.
1 ounce of butternut squash has 13 calories and 3 g carbs, saving you 49 calories and 10 g carbs per ounce. Plus with the squash, you get all the nutrition of this delicious veggie, including 60% of your RDA of Vitamin A! Plus it just tastes better.

I will definitely be trying this again, using seasoned lean ground beef in place of the chicken. Hope you like it too!




Weight Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment